Splash of vegetable oil
3 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 leek, roughly chopped
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 fresh chillies, finely chopped
50g (2 tbsp) curry powder
250ml (8fl oz) vegetable stock (reduce or add more, depending on desired consistency)
2 × 400g (14oz) tins chopped tomatoes
2 gloves garlic, minced
100g (4 tbsp) tomato purée
Pinch of turmeric 2 × 400g
(14oz) tins chickpea
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add all the vegetables, plus the onions, chillies and curry powder. Cook on a low heat for 1 minute.
2. Add three-quarters of the vegetable stock, the tomatoes, garlic, tomato purée and turmeric.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. With a hand blender, liquidize to a fine sauce, adding the remaining stock (or additional stock) as needed. Cook for a further 10 minutes on a medium heat.
5. Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Serve in warmed bowls with boiled rice